November 26, 2007

HARLEY THE HEDGEHOG


Hedgehogs make terrific pets. I've had Harley as a house mate for the last 4 months with nothing but growing affection for the little sea urchin. He travels with me on the weekends (though recently he has grown a bit too large for my vehicles cup holder) and has a young and growing appreciation for wine and cigarettes. They can be potty trained and have a pleasant and relaxed demeanor. Once attached however, they can become quite like the nagging girlfriend. They insist on curling and cuddling with you at the most inopportune times- like...when you are trying to complete the damned operations plan for a project. They know little about vehicles, as proven when Harley crawled into the transmission casing of my truck. And they always manage to find that burst of energy, chattering relentlessly, just as you close your eyes and find that sweet moment of Zen.

Despite all of that, I wouldn't trade little Harley for any other house mate. He is clean, quiet, and does not chew on your shoes. For anyone interested, I suggest purchasing them through friends rather than in the markets. You come across better color variations and breeding.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He's sooooo cute! I love this picture of him!

Anonymous said...

JJS,
You sound like a proud father. I have to ask is Harley still alive? since you seem to be travelling most of the time or can hedgehogs fend for themselves?
Sourpuss